Sunday, February 19, 2006

The SARAH Cake

MY FIRST WEDDING CAKE...it was for my own wedding (hence the name). I felt as I had an unspoken obligation to make a cake for our wedding which was entirely "us". After much research and investigation, I came across a piece of fabric in my studio. At that very moment, I knew it was going to be perfect!

If a piece of fabric could have a definition, it was all about me. That's when the love affair with our wedding cake began! It was as though the ideas just came to me and I knew exactly the methods which I would use. (Of course, with some much needed help from my "cake mentor", Jean). I recreated the fine flower details on the fabric in the way of three dimensional wire flowers with silver glass beading and curly sprays.

It was the first time I would try to make fondant icing from scratch, and chocolate fondant at that. The stress of it all was incredible seeing as if it "didn't work out", we wouldn't have a wedding cake! I kept my faith close the whole time, and of course, as my husband would say, "Of course it worked out!".

Tier Flavours:
Top Tier 6" - vanilla with vanilla buttercream
Middle Tier 10" - butter pecan with vanilla buttercream
Bottom Tier 12" - vanilla with strawberry mouse buttercream

No comments: